The World Bank supports the Restructuring of the Vocational Training Corporation in Jordan in line with the Jordan National Agenda. An appraisal had been conducted in 2008 which resulted in the implementation of this project. The project on the Restructuring Vocational Training Corporation is financed by International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) Loan No. 7561 – JO.
The contract to implement the Restructuring Vocational Training Corporation is awarded to the K-UTECH/UTHM and it was signed on 08 May 2011.
Objectives of this Project are to establish basic guiding principles of efficiency, effectiveness, impact, sustainability and accountability at the institutional level and at the centre level. This will be reflected by building on Lessons Learned from previous and ongoing interventions introduced by donor-supported projects or Model Skill Centres of Excellence based on public private partnership. This will lead to the development of an integrated business model for the VTC to be adopted for planning and performance based monitoring and evaluation. These general objectives will also include the following three sub-components:
- Establishment of the Mandate, Governance Structure, and Regulatory Framework for the new Skills Development Agency;
- Organizational Restructuring and Staff Development; and Reorientation of the Training Delivery Model to Reflect Employer Defined Competencies.
Specific Objectives of this Project are:
- To restructure the VTC to be a responsive vocational training provider as outlined in the National Agenda (within the existing regulatory framework).
- To develop and implement a business model for a decentralized VTC characterized by responsiveness, relevance, cost-effectiveness, efficiency, accountability and sustainability that includes internal quality control and quality assurance.
- To develop and implement a training model for an employer-driven training system characterized by responsiveness, relevance, cost-effectiveness, efficiency, accountability and sustainability that includes internal quality control procedures.
- To introduce elements of quality assurance in the business and training models.
- Functional restructured VTC/New Skills Development Agency established with a new business model (financing, staffing, and management);
- Autonomous governance model in place that will orient the new agency/VTC towards the needs of the market;
- Satisfaction of employers with the availability, quality and relevance of training being delivered through the new agency/VTC;
- Increased completion rate from 30 percent to 45 percent by 2013; and
- Increased percentage of non-leavers from 10th grade out of total enrolment (inter alia in-service workers, seasonal workers, and unemployed).